Internet Usage Policy
The Internet is a global entity with a highly diverse user
population and information content. The Manson Public Library does not
monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the
Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. Library
patrons use it at their own risk.
Library users of the Internet should be aware of the following:
Only parents and legal guardians have the right, and the
responsibility, to monitor and control their own children’s access to
the Internet and the information obtained through it.
• All Internet resources accessible through the library’s connection are provided equally to all library users. All users must sign a User Agreement Card. All persons under 17 years of age must have their card signed by a parent or guardian.
• The Manson Public Library prohibits any use of the library’s Internet connection to access materials that are obscene, pornographic or in any manner deemed “harmful to minors;” consistent with any state and local laws. The Library’s Internet connection is not to be used for unethical, unauthorized or illegal purposes. Internet use to obtain criminally violent, classified or pornographic content is expressly forbidden. Respecting these principles will help keep this resource available to the community. No one may send, receive or display text or graphics, which may reasonably be construed as obscene. Library staff will have final authority in judging the nature of a site. If caught purposely browsing a pornography, hate, or violence-related site, individuals must immediately close the Internet and leave the library grounds.
• The Manson Public Library does not censor access to materials or protect individuals from information they find offensive. There are materials and other information resources that some may find controversial or inappropriate on the Internet.
• Not all sources of information on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information. It is the individual’s responsibility to judge the validity of the information they find.
• The Manson Public Library cannot guarantee confidentiality over the Internet. The library cannot guarantee a secure connection at all times and in all places in the library, as many things can interfere with wireless access including building elements, cordless phones, etc. The library takes no responsibility for lost data, etc. due to network or connection failure or malfunction.
Please take appropriate precautions when using this service. Patrons entering personal data do so at their own risk.
• Wireless networks are transmitted via radio waves, and are therefore susceptible to potential ‘eavesdropping’, so patrons should be aware of what they are transmitting over this open network.
• Patrons who use the library’s wireless access with their own equipment are responsible for maintaining up-to-date antivirus software, firewalls, etc. Patrons take responsibility for their own equipment. The library takes no responsibility for lost data, etc. due to connection failure.
• The library does not provide the ability to access streaming audio or video, telnet or FTP.
• Web-based email only, no POP3 or SMTP connections.
• No printing is available from the wireless network. Documents can be saved to a floppy or USB drive and then printed from a wired station.
• Staff will not provide technical support, especially for personal computer equipment.
• All library policies concerning legal and acceptable use of computers and the Internet apply, as well as library conduct policies, to any computer used on the library grounds.
• The Manson Public Library complies with the United States Copyright Law, and other federal and state laws relating to the use of the Internet and other electronic media.
Rules and guidelines for Computer and Internet use
Use of the library’s computers is on a walk-in basis. Time limit on
these computers is 30 minutes if another person is waiting.
• All persons using the Internet must sign a User Agreement Card.
• Patrons are expected to be knowledgeable in basic computer operations. Library staff does not offer individual instruction.
• Computer Tip Sheets are available for help in setting up web-based email accounts. No POP3 or SMTP connections.
• Personal software programs may not be installed on the library’s computers. Files may not be downloaded. The library does not allow FTP (file transfer protocol). Changes may not be made to the setup or configuration of the software or hardware.
• Printing of information is a fee-based service allowed through the Library’s network only.
• Misuse or abuse of the library’s computers will result in suspension of privileges. Regulation of the
library’s computers is at the discretion of the library staff.
Wireless access at the Manson Public Library
The Manson Public Library provides wireless (“wi-fi”) access for patrons through its Internet connection. All library policies concerning legal and acceptable use of computers and the Internet, as well as library conduct policies, apply to patrons using the library’s Internet connection.
• Library staff cannot accept the liability of
handling non-library equipment. Patrons are responsible for their
personal computer equipment and the required configuration to access
the library’s connection. Those who access the library’s Internet
connection with their own computer or electronic device are responsible
for equipping it with a wireless card and set it to obtain an ip
address automatically, with no proxy server settings. Staff will
provide no technical support dealing with personal computer or
• The library is not responsible for stolen equipment or lost data due to personal equipment or connection failure.
• The library shall not be liable for any risk taken by the patron who chooses to connect their own device to the library’s wireless connection. As with most public wireless “hot spots,” the library’s wireless connection is not secure. Cautious and informed wireless users should choose not to transmit personal information while using any wireless “hot spot.”
• The library cannot guarantee a secure connection at all times and in all places in the library, as many things can interfere with wireless signals.
• The library takes no responsibility for lost data, etc. due to a lost connection.
• Wireless networks are transmitted via radio waves, and as such are susceptible to ‘eavesdropping.’ Users should be aware of what they are transmitting over this open network. Patrons are responsible for their own anti-virus, firewalls, etc.
• No printing is available from the wireless network.
• Appropriate precautions should be taken when using this service.
Internet Safety Policy
as it applies to patrons under the age of 17; as required by the CIPA and NCIPA:
• Individuals covered by this policy may not use the Manson Public Library’s Internet connection to access inappropriate matter on the Internet, www (World Wide Web) or any other source.
• Individuals covered by this policy at the Manson Public Library, while using direct electronic communications, whether email, chat rooms, or any other form of direct communication, may not divulge their name, age, address, location or other personal information.
• Individuals covered by this policy are specifically forbidden to use the Manson Public Library’s Internet connection for unauthorized access, modification, hacking, cracking and other unlawful activities, including but not limited to accessing the library’s network and other networks.
• Individuals covered by this policy are specifically forbidden to use the Manson Public Library’s computers or Internet connection to provide unauthorized disclosure, use or dissemination of personal identifiable information concerning and regarding themselves or any other person.